I remember hot, sticky, summer car journeys as pretty hellish experiences when I was a child but times have changed – children and parents alike no longer dread a road trip, with 1 in 10 kids complaining when a journey ends. Why? It’s all down iPads and in this weather air con!
Research from DisneyLife reveals that the car journey is now one of the best bits of the holiday for most children and it is now taking an average of nearly 90 minutes for kids to ask that dreaded question, ‘Are we there yet?’
We’re driving to a friends party on Sunday and then Bank Holiday Monday we will set off on an epic 5 hour journey (and that’s if there’s no traffic) to Nannie’s house in Dorset. A lot of car action to get through this weekend so I need a survival plan!
- Treat box – I’ll let the girls pack there own treat box to ensure that “I’m hungry” doesn’t join the “Am I there yet” chant. The deal is though they’re allowed a treat an hour.
- Ensure they party hard Sunday night so they’re so tired they sleep most of the way…mmm never seems to work that one
- Fail safe: Download the Disney Life app so they can dive into movies, kids’ TV box sets, books, music & more
Think number 3 in my plan will see us through our trip and ease the wheels of our journey nicely. My girls love a Disney movie and as you’re never too old to enjoy one I think I’ll be sat in the back seat with them 😉
UK’s current most popular Disney movies* with Finding Nemo taking top spot over Frozen:
1. Finding Nemo
3. Tangled (2010)
4. The Incredibles
5. The Lion King
6. Beauty and The Beast (1991)
7. Toy Story 3
8. Monsters, Inc.
9. Secret of The Wings
* The UK’s top 10 Disney movies according to DisneyLife usage from 8 August – 14 August 2016.
We may well get through them all!
“All it takes is faith and trust…and a little bit of pixie dust.”